Pinterest said searches for “Black-owned business” on its platform were up 13 times year-over-year in June, while “support small business” rose by 4.6 times.
Supermodel Liya Kebede curated a board of her favorite picks from Lemlem, her sustainable fashion label that features women’s artisan-driven resort wear made in Africa.
Businesses that are part of the new collection include:
- Andrea Iyamah, a global brand strongly inspired by color, ethnic cultures and nature, catering to the fashionable across borders.
- Beauty Bakerie was founded by Cashmere Nicole during a challenging fight with breast cancer, and it reflects her passion for high quality, healthy ingredients that enhance the beauty in everyone.
- Bôhten Eyewear was founded by Nana Boateng Osei, who was inspired by the natural beauty of Ghana. Its frames are made from reclaimed wood sourced from West Africa.
- The Folklore is an innovative online retail concept store that stocks emerging designer brands from Africa and the diaspora.
- Kahmune is a luxury women’s footwear line designed in 10 skin-tone hues in order to ensure that no woman has difficulty finding a skin tone shoe, regardless of her complexion.
- Lemlem, a women’s artisan-driven resort wear brand made in Africa and committed to elevating artisanship and expanding production and jobs across Africa, founded by supermodel Liya Kebede.
- MFMG Cosmetics is a cruelty-free and paraben-free beauty brand that develops and curates cosmetics tailored to multicultural beauty consumers.
- Nolaskinsentials was created when founder Jane Ormon noticed that her own skin issues were not being catered to, and it is a vegan, cruelty-free skincare brand created for skin with melanin.
- Studio One Eighty Nine, co-founded by Rosario Dawson and Abrima Erwiah, works with African artisanal communities that specialize in traditional craftsmanship techniques.
- Stuzo Clothing’s mission is to create a space where all are welcome without judgment, and all of its offerings are gender-free.
- Uoma Beauty’s goal is to rewrite the rules of inclusivity and diversity.